Thursday, October 16, 2008

Harvest Blessings

We have a couple pear trees in our front tear drop. They have been producing rock hard,no taste pears for several years. This year the boys discovered they have juice! They have taste! So They picked a large bag full. I made pear sauce and a couple pear pie fillings over the course of several days.
Over the weekend we noticed there were still a lot of pears hanging in one of the trees. So they picked ALL of them with help from Bri on a ladder. I didn't want to have pears sitting around producing fruit flies. So yesterday I decided to process them all. Thankfully I have a great peeler/corer gadget that takes care of business pretty efficiently. So four 1 gallon buckets of peels and cores out to the compost later, I have 10 beautiful quarts of pear pie filling sitting on my counter.

Other blessings from our garden have been countless tomatoes and bell peppers. I had fun learning to make my own marinara and pizza sauce,and fresh salsa. The green beans did fairly well. We got several nice butternut squash, and four almost five pumpkins.

One surprise was a cucumber vine growing among the pumpkins as well as morning glories. I transferred one morning glory to climb our antenna pole.



Another surprise was when we reworked some landscaping around the house and brought over some dirt from the pumpkin patch, a cantaloupe started growing in the strawberry patch. I am hoping they will have a chance to ripen before the first frost of the season.



Have a great day !

Leat

No comments: