Friday, October 24, 2008

Favorite Recipe Friday


Chicken Stew with Basil Dumplings

I got this recipe from Em at www.farmwiferecipes.blogspot.com.

It was the first recipe I tried in my new dutch oven over our new campfire ring. It was the BEST! Our fire was a little too hot so there was not as much gravy as I'm sure there would be in a regular oven bake, but my family still raved. Also because of the campfire,my cooking time was cut in half. This will definitely be making a regular appearance at this family's house.

Dumplings:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons dried basil

Stew:
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 carrots,sliced very thin
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
4 cups chicken broth
1 bag frozen peas (10oz)
4 cups cooked chicken,cut into bite size pieces.

In dutch oven,saute onion and carrots in butter until almost tender. Add garlic and saute a couple more minutes. Add flour,salt,pepper,basil and broth. Stir with wire whisk until thick. Add peas and chicken and cook 5 minutes. Drop dumplings by large spoonfuls onto stew. Bake at 350 uncovered for 30 minutes and 10 minutes covered.

I really hope you get a chance to try this recipe soon!

Have a great day!

Leat

No comments: