Saturday, March 13, 2010

Homemade Pasta Noodles

Thursday afternoon I was thinking about what to make for dinner. I was going to the grocery store that night, so pickens were pretty slim. I had a bag of raw shrimp in the freezer, a box of cream cheese, 1 cup of milk, and two eggs. Everything for shrimp alfredo except the noodles. Wait! I had 1/2 box of lasagna noodles. I could have broken them into little pieces, but didn't think they would be enough for 6 hungry people. So I decided to make my own noodles.

A quick google search brought up plenty of recipes. Remembering Lydia Bastianich from PBS all I needed was some eggs and flour right?



So I mounded up my flour and then made a little well for the eggs.



I gently start working the flour into the eggs. So far so good. Soon I run into a problem though. The eggs have soaked up as much as they are going to and I still have a ton of flour. I decided to start rolling it out anyway. I end up with a nice flat mound of flour that is barely damp. Some of the other recipes called for oil, so I drizzle on some olive oil. Still too dry. I add water. STILL dry, more oil and water. I decide to add some flavor so I sprinkle on some basil and garlic powder. Finally it is coming together and the color is beautiful. I rolled it out as thin as possible, not having a pasta machine or anything. Kind of fun actually!

Then Luke and I take turns with the pizza cutter making thin strips of pasta.



Five minutes in boiling water and it's done and delicious!

(sorry no picture of the final dinner, I was running out the door to visit an old friend and grocery shop)

So if you are wanting an exact recipe of what I did, weelll, I kind of turned into one of those pinch of this people on this, but when I make them again I'll write down the exact measurements of everything. But here is a guesstamate.

2-3 cups flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mound two cups flour on lightly floured surface.
Beat eggs and pour into well made in flour.
Gently stir flour into eggs.
Add basil and garlic powder.
Gradually add oil and water until dough is smooth, add more flour as needed.
Roll floured dough as thin as possible. Might be helpful to do in two sections.
Using a pizza roller, cut strip to desired width. Cover with damp dish towel until ready to cook.
To cook: Add noodles to boiling salted water. Stir occasionally. Done in about 5 minutes. Drain, top with favorite sauce.

Enjoy!
Leat

No comments: