Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hitting Home

It is so amazing to me how I'll be thinking of something or just what is going on in life at the moment, then I'll go to read my Bible and BAM! A verse or passage jumps out talking about exactly what I was thinking of earlier.

I got a facebook account several months ago. The original reason was to keep in touch with our close friends who were about to move into a fifth wheel and travel as a family with the husbands job. Then I started finding old school friends, family we don't see much of, old coworkers and friends from other forums on the web.

I started spending more and more time with them and less with those who matter most, my sons. Everything I said or did brought thoughts of, "How many comments would that get if I posted it?"

So yesterday I was reading in Matthew 15. Jesus has just told Peter how he will be the rock on which the church is built. He then goes on to say how he (Jesus) must suffer, die and be raised again on the third day. To this Peter rebuked him and Jesus responds by saying, "Get thee behind me Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men".

BAM! BAM! I have not been savoring the things of God. Training my children to the BEST and FULLEST of my ability in HIS ways. But those of men. (Ladies on FB)

Last weekend my mother-in-law gave me a great book called Lessons At Blackberry Inn By Karen Andreola

It is a fiction book of a mother homeschooling her children in the 1930's. She puts into practice the Charlotte Mason approach to homeschooling.

I have just heard bits of this approach here and there, not researching it too much thinking it would be overwhelming. But after reading this book and "seeing" it put into practice, I feel more confident to try and start implementing some of the things. We will be starting to read more poetry, dig out the famous art paintings book to study, more read alouds with the boys narrating back what they hear about the stories and more nature observing.

God is so amazing and wonderful! Supplying a better way to use my time. Teaching for HIS glory.

Leat

8 comments:

B said...

Are you going to be on FB at all? I would hate to see you totally leave it but I understand too. If it weren't for how little I can physically do this pregnancy (thus needing a time waster :oP ) I would not have joined because I was afraid of the very same thing.
We are trying a CM type approach to our schooling.... but not doing very well right now. I would LOVE to read that book as I think maybe my ideas of the CM theory are a bit unrealistic. I need to see if the library has it.......

Leat said...

Hi B! No, I'm not leaving FB. Just trying to have enough will power to get schooling done each day before I log in. ;) What is your name on FB we need to friend each other if not already!

Sarah Doty said...

Thanks for sharing about your struggles with FB, I understand. It's the "innocent" things that can become a distraction.
I've read about the Charlotte Mason method and keep up-to-date on it with a weekly newsletter through
www.simplycharlottemason.com
Keep up the good work!!!

Leat said...

Hi Sarah! I'll have to check out that site! Kerri

alyssa spring said...

Thanks for this!!! I would love to read that book....I feel an amazon search coming on. :) Oh....could you give me the ratios of how much milk to soak how much flour.....my email is alyssaspringcorley@gmail.com...
when you have time :)

joyful mama said...

Hey Kerri, i know exactly what you mean about FB.
The books sounds awesome, i'll have to check that one out!!
Have a great day!!! :)

B said...

I am Beppy Jo...... I thought it simplest and "safest" :o) to use my WTM name. We are friends :o)

Jody said...

I struggle with Facebook too. Spend waaay to much time there. I'll have to try and find that book to read.