Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gathering Recipes

Last Saturday we went to the co-op and bought a 50# bag of corn. What on earth are we going to do with 50 pounds of corn,you ask? Grind it into cornmeal! So now I am on the search for recipes with cornmeal in them.

After two tries I found a good corn pancake recipe. Now I am on the hunt for the best corn bread recipe. I have a couple waiting to be tried out.

Thankfully fall is really here and we are all in the mood for soups and stews and chili. All of which are great with cornbread.

I don't think my family would like hominy so I won't bother making that. But I am planning to try making mush and homemade corn tortillas.

Here is the winning corn pancake recipe.

Cornmeal Pancakes

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons oil
2 eggs

Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients. Stir til just combined. Cook on a heated griddle; I use just under 1/4 cup per pancake. Batter will be a little thin.

Have a great day.

Leat

No comments: