Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Camp Cooking

Our weekend camping was just about perfect. We found a great spot near the water, the weather was beautiful, and I discovered how much fun it is to cook over a camp fire.

Some friends came out Saturday evening and all the kids roasted hot dogs over the fire. Later we broke out the marshmallows and made s'mores. We used saltines as I didn't have graham crackers. Sunday evening I buttered some potatoes and put them on a grate we brought to put over the fire. When they were about half way done I added some chicken that had been marinating in the cooler several hours. Made a tossed salad and dinner was done. Grandma and Grandpa B. stopped by for a visit and watched the boys roast the last of the marshmallows. Monday morning I started our usual whole wheat pancakes on the camp stove. The bottle of propane ran out and I finished the pancakes over the fire. The boys said they tasted better that way. I'm looking forward to trying more recipes over the fire.

Here is my pancake recipe. I double it for my family.

Whole Wheat Pancakes
1 cup WW flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1 cup water
1 egg
2 Tbsp oil

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients. Stir till just combined. Pour jsut under 1/4 cup in hot skillet for each pancake. Flip when bubbles start to form and pop.

Have a great day!

Leat

No comments: