Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What's New?

I haven't been a very good blogger have I? I tell myself I'll post more often , but as you can see that's not happening. I check it a lot to read other friends' blogs. Looking for inspiration, but come away feeling worse. I don't take a lot pictures, or spend much time sewing. I cook the same foods that I've already posted about.

Basically we lead a pretty boring life. But we like it. It is what God has blessed us with and we are content. Changes could be coming up, but for now we are just waiting on God to lead and praying for wisdom to follow wherever He leads.

The only thing out of the ordinary that's happened is that sickness has hit our house lately, but the boys are just about over it. If they don't regerm each other!!

As most of you know I love learning and trying new home/natural remedies. So their colds/flu gave me some great opportunities to try out things I've been reading about.

I've been wanting to get into essential oils for quite awhile. Last store day I used some birthday $ and bought 6 bottles. Some of the uses I have done are to warm a little olive oil then add 1-2 drops of eucalyptus EO and rub it on the boys backs and chests. I also put drops in hot bath water and in boiling water to breathe in the steam.

We have gone through two batches of GOOT. Rubbing this on the bottoms of feet helps control coughing and gets the garlic into the bloodstream to help fight the bad germs.

Mustard poultices seemed to work well on Nathan and Luke. I warmed up a bit of plain yellow mustard. Rubbed it on their chests,and then laid a wash cloth ran under as hot of water as possible and rung out on top of the mustard.

We have drank large amounts of garlic tea. This is actually a very tasty drink. You boil water in a pan with 2-3 cloves garlic cut in half. Off heat stir in lemon juice and honey.

I made a homemade honey cough syrup that was given to me by a Well Tell Me friend.

It is basically pouring a good amount of honey in a canning jar, add juice of 1/2 a lemon, pieces of fresh ginger root,smashed garlic, and dried grapefruit peel. Let sit a day or so and strain out chunk stuff. Take a tsp of the flavored honey as needed.

What else. Oh yeah, the grapefruit peel tea. God put something wonderful in the peel of grapefruit that helps reduce fevers. At Christmas, I saved a few GF peels, cut them into small pieces and left them to dry on newspaper for a few days. To make the tea bring some water to a boil. Off heat, stir in a few pieces. Let steep about 15 minutes and drink. You can look up all the science of it by googling grapefruit peel tea.

Of course there is the old fashioned Homemade chicken broth for soups.

Basically that's what's new around here. I'll try not to let another month go by without reposting. :)

Leat

No comments: