Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rose Hips

Sunday afternoon the family got cabin fever so we ran a couple errands and ended up at Dillons for Chinese for dinner. After ward we wandered around and I thumbed through a magazine called Back Home. Browsed an article on making Rose Hip nectar.

So yesterday I was comparing prices on another herb between two companies,one being the Bulk Herb Store. I click on different herbs that catch my eye to read about. I read about Rose Hips. Here is what they say
Herbs: Rose hips - cut
Quantity:

Common Name: Rose hips
Latin Name: Rosa canina

Rose hips are the dried fruit of roses. They contain a good deal of vitamin C and vitamin C complex. Rose hips are especially good for stress and fighting infections. Rose Hips also have bioflavonoid which affects the heart and circulatory system, particularly strengthening the capillaries.

Walking back from the mailbox yesterday,I notice the red berries on the wild rose bush out back behind the big barn.




Light bulb over my head moment! We have rose hips here! So I go grab an ice cream bucket and start picking. This of course captures the attention of the boys,so they bundle up and come help.



Between the 4 of us,(Nathan was napping) we get a little over a cup. Of course there was some taste testing going on too. ;)

During this time I am wishing for a photographic memory of the directions in the article. I think I have the jist,so this morning I took a stab at it.

This is 1/2 the recipe. It was COLD,out there picking!!
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup honey
1 cup rose hips



Combine all in small saucepan,boil 10-15 minutes until hips "pop" releasing their juice and seeds;stirring and gently mashing.



Strain,pour into jar. Store in a cool,dark place.



The boys can't wait to pick and make more!
I plan on using it as an addition in herbal teas.(1-2 tsp stirred in each cup) Sweet flavor,Vit.C,and healthy to boot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK you! :) I grabbed my rose hips today and will make this tonight.

Yooper

Jody said...

Wonderful idea! Does it matter what kind of roses you use??