Saturday, February 28, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap

I made a double batch of homemade liquid laundry soap this morning. Almost excited for laundry day on Monday to try it out! It filled a 5 gallon bucket. I got the bucket for free from the bakery at Wal-Mart. It still had quite a bit of frosting in the bottom that I was able to scrape out and save in a gallon zip lock baggie! On to the recipe.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

1/3 bar Fels Naptha or Ivory soap. (I used a bar of my homemade lye soap)
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda (I used baking soda)

Grate soap into saucepan. Add 6 cups water and heat to melt. Add both powders;stir to dissolve. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water in bucket. Add soap mixture and stir. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups water and stir. Let sit 24 hours and it will gel. Use 1/2 cup per load.

This should last our family several months.

No comments: